2014 Urban Supper Chef Call
You might remember the fabulous dinner party that was the Urban Supper back in September: Two chefs (Richard DeShantz from Meat & Potatoes and Keith Fuller from Root 174), 7 courses, 50 guests, and one magical evening under the stars and skyscrapers of Downtown Pittsburgh.
Well, we’re at it again in 2014 with the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, twice.
Event Dates: Saturday, June 7, 2014, and Saturday, September 20, 2014
Time: Setup – TBD; Event- 6 PM to 10 PM
Budget: Chef or chef team will be provided with $55 per attendee (between 50 and 75 diners)
Description: eatPGH and the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership (PDP) are teaming up to present the 2014 Urban Supper series in Downtown Pittsburgh. Urban Supper highlights Downtown and the talented culinary masters behind the city’s best eats to a broad audience. The 2013 Urban Supper was held outside in the midst of skyscrapers and the hustle and bustle of the city’s core.
We are looking for a dynamic chef or chef team to present an exceptional dining experience that will not be easily repeated. Between 50 to 75 guests will partake in this culinary opportunity to dine in the heart of the city. The chef or chef team is encouraged to be creative and flex his, her, or their culinary muscles and prepare a five to seven course meal. eatPGH and PDP are identifying unique spaces in which to hold these two events.
We are searching for a chef currently working in Downtown. If collaborating, at least one team member must be a chef in Downtown Pittsburgh.
Expectations of the selected chef/chef team:
Prior to event:
- Create menu for event
- Work with event bartenders on drink pairings
- Work with eatPGH and PDP to plan set-up of cooking/prep area
- Work with eatPGH to determine plates, dishes, and equipment needed for guests
- Provide kitchen utensils, pots, and pans
- Have line cooks onsite to help with preparation as needed
- Supply kitchen equipment like warmers, chillers, and additional items as needed
- Clean any prep space used and remove equipment post event
What will be provided by event hosts:
- Tented prep area for chef/chef team, including kitchen equipment agreed upon by event hosts and chefs
- Serving dishes and glassware
- Logistical help for outside kitchen/prep area
- Front of house equipment and set-up: tables, chairs, napkins, table decorations
- Volunteer serving staff
Please send your name(s), contact information, statement of interest, and a proposed menu to eatPGH at firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, April 11, 2014. Ideas need not be final but provide a good idea of what might be accomplished. Please indicate if you have a preference for the dinner date. Special equipment needed should be noted as well.
Chef applications are being accepted through Friday, April 11, 2014. A final panel decision will be made by Wednesday, April 16, 2014.
Two separate chefs/chef teams will be chosen for the June and September dinners.
For both dinners, the chef or chef team chosen will be required to meet with the planning committee the fourth week of April to look at the spaces and finalize specifications. Final menus will be determined by April 25.